Mugie Conservancy is located within Kenya’s Laikipia plateau on the edge of the Great Rift Valley. Mugie is home to several endangered species and forms an essential corridor for connecting West Laikipia with the highlands of Mt. Kenya.
Mugie Conservancy will inspire the world to protect natural habitats by creating a 21st century model for a profitable conservation enterprise.
To engage with communities, government, NGOs, donor bodies and to develop commercial partners to create and facilitate profitable enterprises and opportunities that contribute to regional agricultural communities in order to secure the greater ecosystem, endangered species, biodiversity and our habitat in harmony with sustainable development.
Principles And Values
- Create awareness and understanding of our ecosystems and biodiversity
- Ensure a balanced human-wildlife coexistence for the future
- Respect for others
- Everything we do should be measurable
- Sustainable use of available natural resources
- Communicate and coordinate everything we do locally, nationally, and internationally
- Grow together with our surrounding communities
Sustainable Development Goals
- SDG 1 – No poverty – Mugie conservancy provides jobs and market sharing programs/investment opportunities.
- SDG 3 – Good health and well being – Mugie’s medical outreach and community building activities contribute to improved health, wealth and peaceful cohabitation.
- SDG 4 – Quality education – Mugie supplements governmental funds to support additional teachers in the classroom, far exceeding the national average student:teacher ratios. Mugie also promotes vocational education.
- SDG 5 – Gender equality- Mugie school promotes the education of young women in the community by enforcing gender parity and providing a safe learning environment. Additionally, we are building programs to enhance economic opportunity for women in the community.
- SDG 8 – Decent work and economic growth – Mugie encourages entrepreneurship and provides both jobs and income generating activities for men and women.
- SDG 9- Industry, innovation and infrastructure – Mugie is modernizing agriculture and conservation techniques by using scientific data to make informed decisions about infrastructure and sustainable development.
- SDG 12 – Responsible consumption and production – Mugie’s dryland conservation agriculture activities enhance food security and economic welfare.
- SDG 13 – Climate Action – Mugie’s sustainable natural resource management schemes include renewable energy usage, water reservoirs, ecosystem services and responsible maintenance of carbon sequestering grasslands.
- SDG 15 – Life on land – Mugie’s land, water, and biodiversity conservation function to preserve natural habitats and ensure the survival of its natural ecosystems for today and tomorrow.
- Ekorian’s Mugie Camp
- Mugie CBO
- Governors’ camps collection
- Mugie SACCO
- Kenya Market Trust
- Old Africa