Is there Malaria on Mugie?
Malaria is not prevalent in this area but advice should be taken from your own doctor.
What shall I wear?
Bring what you are most comfortable in:
- Strong walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Light shirts and shorts for the day
- Long trousers or long skirts in the evening
- Fleece or jumper for the evenings
- Swimwear and flip flops/sandals
What equipment do I need?
- This is a photographer's heaven so bring a choice of lenses, dust cloths and dust-proof camera bags.
- Good quality binoculars
- A good pocket knife (always useful but not in hand luggage!)
- If you enjoy painting or sketching, please bring your materials
- There is no need to bring golf clubs
Do I need sun cream?
The high altitude means significant exposure to sun. A high SPF factor cream should be used throughout the day and a hat worn.
Can I fly to Mugie?
Private charter flights are readily available from most Kenyan tourist destinations (including Nairobi, Nanyuki and the coast) to Mugie’s private airstrip. Air Kenya flies daily to and from Nairobi to Nanyuki. There are also charter flights to an airstrip approximately 45 minutes from Mugie and a road transfer can be organised. If you plan to fly, please contact Mugie for advice.
Can I drive to Mugie?
Mugie is approximately 5 hours drive north of Nairobi (62 km north of Rumuruti); this is an excellent way to see Kenya’s country side. We can provide for private cars and drivers.