Mutamaiyu House is perched on a hilltop with panoramic views of the savannah. Described by a visitor as "Heaven on a Hill" this magnificent family-owned house is named after the ancient grove of twisting olive trees that grow around it.
The house boasts a lavish sitting room, high ceilinged verandas and a large dining room situated in a prime viewing area for the waterhole below where day and night the interaction of wildlife present a wonderful spectacle. A short walk through the impeccable gardens takes you to a cliff-top swimming pool and bar with stunning views.
Mutamaiyu comfortably accommodates 12 guests in six African style cottages, traditionally thatched using "makuti" (palm leaves) over a vaulted wooden frame. Our spacious cottages, all with en-suite bathrooms (including both shower and bath) have a comfortable sitting area with a log fire.
Mutamaiyu House has been nominated in the 2012 Safari Awards for the Best Safari House in Africa and the Best Safari Property and Best Ecological Safari Property in East Africa.
- There are inverters in each of the cottages for daily power supply and in the evenings Mutamaiyu runs off a generator.
- The electric sockets are standard English 3 pin (220-240V) which are compatible with mobile phone and camera chargers.
- There is wireless internet access in a number of the rooms
- Champagne (but can be requested on booking)
- Painting and sketching
- Visits to the cultural village
- Use of Mugie's private golf course